Resources for SnowbirdsTips to prepare your home during your absence:
- Place a rug or mat inside front door so person doing house check can step in & take boots off.
- Set Temp at: 12 - 15 C or 55-60 F
- Install new batteries in digital thermostat & smoke detectors.
- Close & lock all windows & patio doors; place a stick in patio door track.
- Hot Water Heaters: set to vacation, note position of dial before you change the setting.
- Water: best way is to shut "off"; consider draining the house during extended periods of time away.
- Do Not cancel phone: alarm system will not work if you do.
- Unplug: TV, radio, clocks, computer & anything not needed; if unplugging fridge, leave doors open.
- Check with your Insurance Company regarding their requirements for
housechecks i.e. weekly, semi-weekly, bi-weekly, 72 hours, etc.
- Check security system before you depart.
- Last but not least, contact PEC Homewatch before you leave.
Snowbirds Owning Property & Vacationing in the US
Welcome to Florida
in your future? The Complete Relocation Guide for
Job-Seekers, Retirees and Snowbirds (book)
Weather Network in Canada
Edward County community & tourism site
Local, Regional & National News:
The County Weekly News
The Picton Gazette
Kingston Whig Standard
Radio (most also have web radio, so you can listen from anywhere):
99.3 County FM
100.1 FM (Belleville)
Alternative Radio (Loyalist College)
Hits 95.5 (Belleville)
107 Quinte's Classic Rock (Quinte West)
an internet radio directory listing of 600+ radio stations from across
Canada streaming live on the internet